Handy Apps for Weight Loss Surgery
With technology becoming more advanced, we are able to collect information and learn in various different ways. The resources we now have at our fingertips are incredible. To help you with your weight loss journey and through surgery, we have come across helpful apps that can assist and support you
Tracking Food Intake and/or Exercise
- My Fitness Pal – This app is a great ‘all-rounder’ where you can record your daily food and exercise. It has the largest food database, and includes a ‘recipe importer’ feature. It can provide a breakdown of your macronutrient intake (carbs, protein and fat) as well as fibre, cholesterol, and vitamins. You can chart your progress and share it. This app also allows you to create your own exercises and workouts. You can connect this app with other various apps so that they’re linked.
- Easy Diet Diary – Calorie counter and diet tracker. It has a great barcodes scanning feature and provides a breakdown of your protein, fat, saturated fat, carbohydrates, sugars, fibre, sodium, and calcium intake.
- Apple Health – This holistic app incorporates four main categories including activity, sleep, mindfulness and nutrition. It helps with setting goals and meeting health targets.
- Strava – Uses a GPS to track and diarise your walks/hikes/rides.
- Food Switch – This app may help to choose the healthier option within the food category by simply scanning the food barcode.
- WaterLogged – Waterlogged can help track and improve daily water intake. Works with Apple Health, Fitbit and more.
- HydroCoach – For Android devices. This will help you calculate how much water you need, track what and how much you are drinking, and gently remind you when to drink.
- Smiling Mind – Developed by educators and psychologists, it’s a modern meditation, a unique web and app-based program to help bring balance, and mindfulness to people’s lives. Mental and emotional health is just as important as physical health. This app helps you look after your mind.
Eating Technique and Behaviour
- Eat Slowly – Perfect for people who eat too quickly. Eating too quickly can result in overeating, which can be quite painful and uncomfortable after surgery. This app helps you to slow down, enjoy the taste of your food, and support a healthy lifestyle.
- Am I Hungry?® Virtual Coach – This is a powerful tool in determining if you are truly physically hungry. It helps you to avoid non hungry eating such eating in response to stress, boredom or out of habit. It encourages more mindful decisions so you feel in charge and don’t resort to ‘rules and restrictions’. It also guides you through the Am I Hungry? Mindful Eating Cycle.
- My Diet Coach – Helps you find your inner motivation, stay on track, make healthy lifestyle changes, resist food cravings, and avoid difficulties/barriers associated with weight loss.
We hope you find some handy apps here to help you on your weight loss surgery journey.
Before you go, please grab one of our FREE Weight Loss Surgery Toolkits.
If you are new to weight loss surgery our Getting Started Toolkit is for you. Simply click here to sign up for your copy.
If you had weight loss surgery some time ago, or need help to get back on track, our Reboot toolkit may be just the thing. Click here and we will be sure to get a copy on the way to you.
FEATURED BLOG POSTS
Rice crackers, at face value, are a great snack food and are a regular staple in many a kitchen pantry. The salty crunch they provide seems a perfect swap for crisps and other higher fat savoury snacks. This product review takes a closer look at rice crackers and...
Following weight loss surgery we tend to focus on what we are eating in order to achieve good health. However, it is important to remember that our fluid intake also plays an important role. Did you know that adequate hydration (around 1 ½ - 2 litres of fluid per day...
Lasagna is a popular family meal and a wonderful comfort food. Unfortunately many traditional recipes are carbohydrate heavy and rich in fat making them more appropriate as an indulgence than a regular on the family menu. By following these six twists you can boost...
The perfect, prepare ahead side dish that is oh so good! I use these super sweet tomatoes as a delicious addition to salads, as a cracker topper with ricotta or cottage cheese or even stirred through some pasta. You don’t need to stress about exact cooking times or...
Makes 8 fritters 125g can corn kernels, drained 125g can chickpeas, drained and ‘smashed’ 1 small zucchini, grated ½ cup baby spinach, chopped 80g feta, crumbled 2-3 sprigs of dill, chopped finely 1 egg 1/3 cup besan (chickpea flour) Combine ingredients together. Add...
Makes 8 cups 2 teaspoons olive oil 1 brown onion, diced 2 garlic cloves, crushed 500g lean lamb or beef mince 2 - 3 teaspoons Moroccan seasoning 1 tomato, diced 1 carrot, sliced into strips using a potato peeler 2 stalks celery, strings removed, thinly sliced or diced...