How To Choose a Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Muesli or Granola
The selection criteria for muesli and granola are different to the criteria for breakfast cereals. As muesli and granola contain more nuts and seeds, the fat content of these is generally slightly higher. This can help you feel satisfied for longer.
Like breakfast cereals, it is important to control your portion, so using a quarter cup measure can be useful. This will provide a similar amount of carbohydrate to one slice of bread.
When choosing a muesli or granola, take a look at the nutrition information panel and try to select a cereal that fits the following criteria:
- Greater than 8g protein per 100g
- Greater than 8g fibre per 100g
- Less than 15g sugar per 100g
- Less than 25g total fat per 100g
- Less than 3g saturated fat per 100g
- Less than 400mg sodium per 100g.
Examples of muesli and granola products in Australian supermarkets that fit these criteria are as follows:.
- Aldi GoldenVale Premium Muesli Range
- Freedom Foods Ancient Grains Muesli
- Freedom Foods Arnold’s Farm Almond & Cashew Protein Clusters
- Freedom Foods Arnold’s Farm Apple and Caramel Probiotic Muesli
- Freedom Foods Arnold’s Farm Clusters Apple Pie
- Freedom Foods Arnold’s Farm Clusters Choc Almond
- Carman’s 5 Grain & Seed Granola, Almond, Vanilla and Cinnamon
- Carman’s 5 Grain & Seed Granola, Pink Lady Apple & Blueberry
- Carman’s Classic Fruit and Nut Muesli
- Carman’s Natural Berry Bircher Muesli
- Carman’s Original Fruit Free Muesli
- Coles Toasted Nutty Muesli
- Carman’s Honey Roasted Nut Crunchy Clusters
- Food for Health Chia & Cinnamon Fruit Free Clusters
- Food for Health Liver Cleansing Muesli
- Heritage Mill Muesli Fruit & Nut
- Heritage Mill Muesli Maple Date Toasted
- Jordans Low Sugar Granola, Almond and Hazelnut
- Lowan Muesli Apricot and Almond
- Macro Organic Muesli, High Fibre Coconut
- Macro Organic Muesli, Honey Almond Bircher
- Macro Organic Muesli, Honey Toasted with Seeds
- Morning Sun Natural Muesli Fruit
- Morning Sun Apricot and Almond Muesli
- Sam’s Pantry Bircher Berry
- Sam’s Pantry Nutty Caramel
- Table of Plenty Balance + Muesli
- Table of Plenty Nicely Nutty Clusters
- Woolworths Great Start Protein Clusters
- Woolworths Muesli, Apricot, Almond & Date
- Woolworths Muesli, Fruit Free
- Woolworths Muesli, Swiss Style
- Woolworths Muesli, Summer Fruit.
This is not an exhaustive list, so check your favourite against the criteria we have listed above and see if it fits.
Please also note that we use different criteria for porridge, breakfast cereals and breakfast cereal biscuits, all included in our Shopping Companion. This comprehensive guide steps you through over 30 food categories and explains EXACTLY what to look for on the nutrition information panel in each category. And if you don’t have time to read the food labels, we list our TOP PICKS in each of the categories, highlighting over 180 specific products. Find out all about it here.