Product Review: Carman’s Super Seed & Grain Crackers

The Carman’s cracker range comes in three varieties:

  • Ancient Grain & Cracked Pepper
  • Pepita & Poppy Seed and
  • Rosemary & Sea Salt.

For the purpose of this review I sampled the Pepita & Poppy Seed.

What is in them?
I was really impressed with the ingredient list with 80% of these crackers being made from seeds and grains, the remaining 20% was from sunflower oil, linseed meal, salt, baking soda and rosemary. There was absolutely no ‘numbers’ on the label, meaning there is nothing artificial whatsoever.

How do they stack up nutritionally?
At nearly 17% protein and over 10% fibre these were ticking all the boxes for me. The fat content is higher than your typical grainy cracker at 36%. However this isn’t surprising with one of the main ingredients being seeds, rich in healthy fats.

I decided to compare these to my pantry staple, Vita-Weat 9 Grain Crispbread, and noticed that Carman’s  have a third of the carbohydrate at just over 21% vs Vita-Weat at over 60% carbohydrate.

What do they taste like?
I absolutely loved them. The flavour and texture were exactly what I enjoy in a cracker and they lend themselves to both sweet and savoury toppings.

What I like about these post weight loss surgery:

  • High protein
  • High fibre
  • Great texture
  • Lower carbohydrate than many cracker options.

Final thoughts
These will be a regular in my grocery shop moving forward, I am sure they will feature on my platters when I am entertaining as well as a regular snack.

A big thumbs up from me!

Justine

Before you go, please grab one of our FREE Weight Loss Surgery Toolkits.

If you are new to weight loss surgery our Getting Started Toolkit is for you. Simply click here to sign up for your copy.

If you had weight loss surgery some time ago, or need help to get back on track, our Reboot toolkit may be just the thing. Click here and we will be sure to get a copy on the way to you.

Hi! We are Justine and Sally. Working with over a thousand people each year preparing for, undergoing, or who have had weight loss surgery, we are here to support you.

FEATURED BLOG POSTS

Product Review: Rice Crackers

Product Review: Rice Crackers

Rice crackers, at face value, are a great snack food and are a regular staple in many a kitchen pantry. The salty crunch they provide seems a perfect swap for crisps and other higher fat savoury snacks. This product review takes a closer look at rice crackers and...

Here’s to Hydration

Here’s to Hydration

Following weight loss surgery we tend to focus on what we are eating in order to achieve good health. However, it is important to remember that our fluid intake also plays an important role. Did you know that adequate hydration (around 1 ½ - 2 litres of fluid per day...

LATEST RECIPES

Slow Roasted Tomatoes

Slow Roasted Tomatoes

The perfect, prepare ahead side dish that is oh so good! I use these super sweet tomatoes as a delicious addition to salads, as a cracker topper with ricotta or cottage cheese or even stirred through some pasta. You don’t need to stress about exact cooking times or...

Veggie Chickpea Fritters with Feta & Dill

Veggie Chickpea Fritters with Feta & Dill

Makes 8 fritters 125g can corn kernels, drained 125g can chickpeas, drained and ‘smashed’ 1 small zucchini, grated ½ cup baby spinach, chopped 80g feta, crumbled 2-3 sprigs of dill, chopped finely 1 egg 1/3 cup besan (chickpea flour) Combine ingredients together. Add...

Moroccan Spiced Mince

Moroccan Spiced Mince

Makes 8 cups 2 teaspoons olive oil 1 brown onion, diced 2 garlic cloves, crushed 500g lean lamb or beef mince 2 - 3 teaspoons Moroccan seasoning 1 tomato, diced 1 carrot, sliced into strips using a potato peeler 2 stalks celery, strings removed, thinly sliced or diced...